T. Garland Stansell, APR joined Children’s of Alabama in the spring of 1994. Children’s of Alabama is the 10thbusiest and third largest pediatric medical center in the United States. Children’s is comprised of the 332-bed Children’s Hospital, a network of pediatric outpatient clinics, and 13 pediatric primary care practices throughout Alabama. Children’s historically experiences in excess of 14,000 inpatient visits and more than 650,000 outpatient visits yearly.
Stansell has more than 30 years’ experience in public relations, marketing, health promotion, advocacy and fundraising. At Children’s, he is responsible for the development and implementation of strategic public relations and communication programs and initiatives to serve the information and promotional needs of the medical divisions, business units, and fundraising and advocacy activities of the organization. This includes oversight of strategic messages and media for internal and external audiences.
For eight years, Stansell was responsible for strategic planning, management and direction of Children’s Community Development department. These responsibilities included the management of internally and externally initiated year-round special event fund raising, Children’s Miracle Network, cause-related marketing programs, and annual fund initiatives.
Prior to joining Children’s of Alabama, he served as Vice President of Public Relations and Development for Alabama Goodwill Industries and as Assistant Director of Corporate Communications for BancBoston Mortgage Corporation, Alabama Office.
Stansell is a Birmingham, Alabama native and received his Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communications, Public Relations and Business from the University of Alabama at Birmingham and a Masters in Public and Private Management from Birmingham Southern College.
Stansell is active in a number of professional, community and civic organizations including:
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA)
- 2015-16 PRSA National Board of Directors, Member at Large
- Served as PRSA Assembly Delegate (Alabama Chapter and Health Academy section)
- Past President and Board Member, PRSA Alabama Chapter
- Past National Chair and Executive Committee Member, PRSA Health Academy
- Past PRSA Sections Council Co-Chair
- Shelby County Education Foundation, Board Member
- Alabama Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, Board Member
- Samford University, Journalism and Mass Communication Advisory Council
- Communication Advisory Board, United Way of Central Alabama
- Leadership Shelby County – Youth Leadership Advisory Committee
- 2004 Class, Leadership Shelby County
- 2005 Class, Birmingham FBI Citizens’ Academy