The Leadership Assembly, a group of more than 300 delegates representing PRSA’s Districts, Chapters, Sections and student society, voted to ratify the PRSA Nominating Committee’s selection of McClennan to lead the organization beginning Jan. 1, 2016. The Assembly meets annually immediately prior to the PRSA International Conference.
“We are at an inflection point in the public relations industry and I’m humbled to be selected to lead PRSA during 2016,” said McClennan. “We have amazing staff and volunteers and I look forward to working with all of them to meet the needs of public relations professionals at all stages of their careers and continue to enhance the value public relations brings to organizations and the public. PRSA has made great strides forward in the past few years and I am optimistic about the future.”
A number of other candidates selected by the Nominating Committee were elected to the PRSA Board of Directors today for two-year terms beginning in 2015. The new board members are:
- Treasurer: Jane E. Dvorak, APR, Fellow PRSA, president JKD & Company, Inc., Lakewood, Colo.; and
- Secretary: Marisa Vallbona, APR, Fellow PRSA, president, CIM Incorporated, San Diego, Calif.
- Director, East Central District: Sonja Popp-Stahly, APR, director, digital media communications, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, Ind.;
- Director, Mid-Atlantic District: Janet E. Kacskos, APR, Fellow PRSA, director of communications, Millersville University of Pennsylvania, Millersville, Pa.;
- Director, Northeast District: JoAnn S. LeSage Nelson, APR, vice president, client services, Pierce Communications, Albany, N.Y.;
- Director, Tri-State District: Lea-Ann O'Hare Germinder, APR, Fellow PRSA, president, Germinder & Associates, Inc., New York, N.Y.; and
- Director, Western District: Todd A. Cooley, APR, principal, The Todd Cooley Company, Santa Ana, Calif.
- T. Garland Stansell, APR, chief communications officer, Children's of Alabama, Birmingham, Ala.
- Chair: Kathy Barbour, APR, corporate director, public relations and marketing, Baptist Health South Florida; and
- Immediate-Past Chair: Joseph Cohen, APR, senior vice president of communications, KIND Healthy Snacks.
- Director, Midwest District: Brian N. Lee, APR, president, Revelation PR, Advertising & Social Media, Madison, Wis.;
- Director, North Pacific District: Ronele M. Dotson, APR, president, RKPR Inc., Reno, Nev.; and
- Director, Sunshine District: Bonnie P. Upright, APR, development director/principal, The Boselli Foundation/Upright Public Relations, LLC, Orange Park, Fla.
- Kathleen Donohue Rennie, Ph.D., APR, Fellow PRSA, assistant professor/partner, Seton Hall University/The McGraw Group, Union, N.J.;
- Tracy A. Schario, APR, communications officer, The Pew Charitable Trusts, White Stone, Va.; and
- Deborah A. Silverman, Ph.D., APR, Fellow PRSA, associate professor of communication, SUNY Buffalo State, Buffalo, N.Y.
In his tenure at Schwartz MSL and later MSLGROUP, McClennan has led teams in a variety of industries, including consumer technology, financial services and gaming. He currently heads the Consumer Tech Group, Regulated Industries Group and leads the Insights Group. He is a part of MSLGROUP’s North American Digital Executive team. He works with clients to determine overall messaging and communications strategy, while remaining actively engaged with the media, bloggers and analysts. He regularly advises clients on social media strategies and crisis management.
"Mark will be a very strong leader for PRSA," said Joe Cohen, APR, PRSA 2014 National Chair. “His strategic vision, passion and expansive understanding of the Society will be tremendous assets as we continue to grow our organization during this transformative period for the public relations profession.”
McClennan has worked with companies ranging from venture-funded start-ups to large public companies, including Ancestry.com, BillMeLater/PayPal, LifeLock, Samsung, Epocrates and Filip Technologies. He has guided companies through IPOs and acquisitions and has coordinated successful public relations campaigns globally for companies in Europe and Asia.
McClennan’s teams have been recognized with more than 45 awards for excellence in public relations, including five Silver Anvils and three Silver Anvil Awards of Excellence. McClennan is past chair of the Northeast District of PRSA and former president of PRSA Boston. He currently serves as treasurer on the Executive Committee of PRSA National’s Board of Directors.
About the Public Relations Society of America
PRSA is the largest professional organization serving the U.S. public relations community. With a mission to “advance the profession and the professional,” PRSA provides news and information, thought leadership, continuing education and networking opportunities; sets standards of professional excellence and ethical conduct; and advocates for the business value of public relations and greater diversity among public relations professionals. Based in New York, PRSA comprises 110 local Chapters; 14 Professional Interest Sections that focus on specific industries and practice areas; and the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), which is active at more than 340 colleges and universities.